Whether you have an existing heart condition, or are concerned about a potential cardiac problem, we are here to help. From athletes to weekend warriors, active individuals and those who may want to start an exercise regime for the first time - we understand the unique aspects of athletes of all levels and cardiac care.
Our treatment strategy focuses on you, as an athlete, first by determining if you have a heart problem and then by safely managing any symptoms we find. We work with you, to get you up and competing even stronger than before, and then by safely managing any symptoms you report or any questionable test results. If no heart condition is found, we can still optimize your performance and guide you to preventing future problems.
We meet the highest standards for local and international athletes of all ages and all levels of competition.
Stanford Sports Cardiology offers:
- Complete cardiac evaluations
- Lifestyle recommendations and exercise advice
- Training and safety guidelines
- Second opinions, or an independent and confidential consultation, particularly for professional athletes
- Management of high blood pressure
- Medication adjustment that follows Olympic, NCAA, and other organizational guidelines
At the initial evaluation, you can expect:
- Screenings and questionnaires to review your personal and athletic history, as well as your goals
- Exercise and imaging test (with a MD and PhD in attendance) to evaluate your exercise capacity, maximum oxygen uptake (VO2 max), heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, cardiac function, cardiac impedance and other factors
- Laboratory tests such as a complete blood count, pulmonary function, electrolyte levels and lipid panel profile
- An interview with a genetic counselor, if needed
- Advanced diagnostic tests such as a cardiac MRI, 3D echocardiogram (ECG), or CT angiography of the coronary arteries
- ECG monitoring during your personal exercise training program with an ECG patch recorder for rhythm and heart rate variability assessment