Black Bean Torta Sandwiches
Cook time: 20 – 25 mins Prep time: 5 mins Servings: 2
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 4 thin slices white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 sliced radishes
- 2 cups canned black beans (unsalted and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 whole wheat bolillos or rolls
- pico de gallo
- 1/4 avocado (optional)
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and saute the yellow onions until they begin to brown.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin.
- Add the canned beans and vegetable stock and let simmer. Mash the beans with a large spoon or spatula.
- Season the beans with lime juice and pepper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, thinly sliced white onions, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, and radishes.
- Start assembling the sandwich. Spread the avocado on the roll, add the black beans, and layer on the lettuce mixture. Finish with a spoonful of pico de gallo.
Tip: Rinse the canned beans to remove any salt.