Cook time: 25 mins Prep time: 10 mins Servings: 2
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons fried garlic
- Low-sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili, to taste
- Sear chicken thighs on medium-high heat until both sides are golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken stock to the pot and infuse the broth with star anise and cardamom. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Cut cooked chicken into bite-size cubes and add to the boiling stock.
- Add rolled oats and stir.
- Let simmer for 7 minutes then turn off the heat.
- Add the congee to a bowl and add a drizzle of chili, low-sodium soy sauce, and sesame oil. Add fried garlic, cilantro, and scallions, to taste.