Nawal L. Atwan Johansen, MD
Internal medicine doctor
- Residency: Stanford University Hospital -Clinical Excellence Research Center (2009) CA
- Medical Education: Harvard Medical School (2006) MA
- Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (2009)
- Board Certification, American Board of Internal Medicine (2009)
- BA, Princeton University (2001)
Honors & Awards
- Chair, Abstract Committee, American College of Physicians Northern California (2013-present)
- Clinical Excellence Leadership Training, Stanford Health Care (2016-2017)
- Educational Mentor, Selected, Stanford University School of Medicine Clinical Teaching Seminar Series Honors Certificate Program (2016-2017)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (2016-Present)
- Pasteur Clinical Research Scholarship, Harvard Medical School (2003-2004)
- Senior Thesis Award, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs (2001)
- Tuberculosis Initiative Research Associate Scholarship, Princeton University Project 55 (1999)
- Associate, Educators for CARE, Stanford University School of Medicine (2010 - Present)
- Chair, Abstract Committee, American College of Physicians Northern California Chapter (2013 - Present)
- Committee Member, Stanford Wellbeing Committee (2013 - 2015)
- Committee Member, Stanford Physician Wellness Committee (2014 - Present)
- Committee Member, Stanford Health Care Service Medical Directors (2015 - Present)
- Elected Representative, Stanford Committee On Residency Training and Clinical Services, Stanford University (2006 - 2009)
- Faculty Lecturer on Primary Care Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Course 313 (2009 - Present)
- Faculty Physician, Stanford Health Care (2009 - Present)
- Faculty Preceptor for Stanford Medical Students in Primary Care Clinic, Stanford University School of Medicine, Outpatient Rotation (2009 - Present)
- Faculty Preceptor for Stanford Residents, Stanford Internal Medicine Resident Clinic (2009 - Present)
- Medical Director, Stanford Hospital and Clinics Clinical Advice Service (2015 - Present)
- Medical Student Clinical Preceptor, Harvard Medical School (2004 - 2006)
Measuring improvement following total hip and knee arthroplasty using patient-based measures of outcome.
Marx, R. G., Jones, E. C., Atwan, N. C., Closkey, R. F., Salvati, E. A., & Sculco, T. P. (2005). Measuring improvement following total hip and knee arthroplasty using patient-based measures of outcome. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume, 87(9), 1999–2005.
Screening for Osteoporosis
Papaioannou, MD, A., Ferko, MSc, N., Adachi, MD, J., Watts, MD, N. B., Koehler, MD, E., & Atwan, MD, N. (2013). Screening for Osteoporosis. American College of Physicians Smart Medicine Pier Review, January.
Effect of opioid prescribing guidelines in primary care.
Chen, J. H., Hom, J., Richman, I., Asch, S. M., Podchiyska, T., & Johansen, N. A. (2016). Effect of opioid prescribing guidelines in primary care. Medicine, 95(35).