Our team performs bloodless techniques during all three phases of heart surgery:
We will calculate your target blood level for heart surgery and take steps to ensure those levels are ideal for a bloodless procedure. Steps for increasing your blood levels can include:
- Taking medications and supplements to boost your blood levels so your body can better handle blood loss during surgery.
- Consulting with dietitians to adjust your diet to maximize healthy blood production.
- Limiting the amount of blood drawn prior to surgery.
- Diluting your blood with a process called “hemodilution,” which lessens the impact of blood loss on your body.
Our doctors employ your treatment plan to conserve your blood during heart surgery. Extra steps and techniques include:
- Minimizing the amount of blood drawn during your procedure.
- Administering treatments to prevent bleeding, such as immediately cauterizing surgical incisions and bleeding blood vessels.
- Utilizing specialized blood-saving equipment which collects lost blood, cleans it, and reintroduces it into your body, preventing the need for a transfusion.
We carefully monitor your blood levels and manage your fluids, so your body can produce extra blood to make up for any lost during your procedure. We also will continue with your post-surgical plan to take steps to conserve your blood including:
- Minimizing the amount of blood drawn for lab testing.
- Consulting with the blood specialist throughout your stay.
- Prescribing medications and supplements to prevent bleeding and improve clotting.