This recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup is rich and nutritionally high in calories and protein. It uses several nutritional secrets to boost calories. For added protein, prepare this dish using oil, butter, protein powder, or cream.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ pound fresh broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup carrots, sliced short and thin
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- toasted bread
1. In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté. Set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, add the melted butter and flour. Stir constantly using a whisk for 3-5 minutes. Add the half and half. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Simmer over low heat 20-25 minutes.
4. Add the salt and pepper and return to heat. Add the cheese and stir in the nutmeg.
5. Serve with toasted bread and enjoy.
To produce a smoother texture, puree using a blender.
This video is intended for use by staff of Stanford Health Care. No representatives or warranties are made for outside use. Not for reproduction or publication without permission.
Published August 2018
Stanford Health Care © 2018