Now that you are 2-4 weeks out of radiation treatment it is time to start reconnecting with food. Your ability to sample tastes, textures, and temperatures will change week to week. Try these simple pasta dishes.
Pesto with White Beans
- 1 can white or cannellini beans
- 2-3 tablespoons of pesto, to taste
- 1/2-package of spaghetti (cooked and cooled)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve cold.
Lemon Basil Turkey
This recipe for Lemon Basil Turkey Pasta is moist and full of lemon flavor. Try experimenting with tart flavors, extra seasonings, sugar or salt to modify the flavors in this dish.
- 1 bunch of basil, loosely chopped
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2-package spaghetti
- 2 tablespoon lemon infused olive oil
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Drain the spaghetti to remove excess water and set aside.
2. In a large pan or wok over medium-high, cook the ground turkey thoroughly, until browned all the way through. Add the chopped basil and stir until the basil becomes wilted and fragrant. Add the precooked pasta and lemon infused olive oil, stir for 2 minutes.
3. Serve and enjoy!
Sesame Soy Sauce with Broccoli, and Tofu
This simple recipe includes soy sauce for flavor and a mix of broccoli and tofu for texture.
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 1-14oz package of tofu
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 package of previously cooked spaghetti
1. Begin by preparing the broccoli and tofu. Chop the broccoli florets into loose chunks and cube the tofu.
2. In a pan over medium heat, add the sesame oil. Add the tofu and broccoli to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the tofu is brown and broccoli is slightly tender. Add the pre-cooked spaghetti and soy sauce. Toss and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Serve and enjoy!
After radiation treatment try different ingredients to change the taste of your food. This recipe for classic pasta alfredo is hearty and the creamy sauce adds plenty of moisture to this dish.
- 2 tablespoon sweet butter
- 1 small clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Asiago cheese
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- parsley or basil leaves, minced for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add garlic and sauté until it is fragrant but not brown. Whisk the cream and egg yolk in a bowl and pour mixture into butter/garlic mixture. On medium low heat, cook the cream mixture until it becomes slightly thick. Do not let the mixture boil.
2. In a large pot with boiling water, add the fettuccine and cook as instructed on the package. Drain the pasta.
3. Add the cooked fettuccine to the cream sauce and stir until the fettuccine is combined. If needed, you can add water from the pasta if you need to make the sauce more liquid as it cooks. Add grated cheese and combine.
4. Serve and garnish with parsley or basil and lots of freshly-ground pepper.
This video is intended for use by staff of Stanford Health Care. No representatives or warranties are made for outside use. Not for reproduction or publication without permission.
Published August 2018
Stanford Health Care © 2018