Spice up your oatmeal with this savory recipe that is hearty and full of flavor. As you progress toward the end of your first week of treatment, this dish is a nutritious option for increasing calories and protein.
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or beef broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups spinach, roughly chopped and packed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- 8 ounces ground beef (optional)
1. In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth and water and bring to a simmer. Add the oats and salt, reduce the heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the oats sit for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese if desired.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil and add the spinach, sauté for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef, if desired, and continue to cook until the beef is browned. Stir into the oatmeal.
3. Once the spinach and beef are cooked, set aside. In a pan, cook two eggs to your liking (example: poached or scrambled).
4. In two bowls, divide the oatmeal and top it off with an egg. To increase calories, finish with a drizzle of olive oil or butter (optional).
This video is intended for use by staff of Stanford Health Care. No representatives or warranties are made for outside use. Not for reproduction or publication without permission.
Published August 2018
Stanford Health Care © 2018