Shepard’s Pie, comfort food that is rich and flavorful. The ground beef and vegetables add nutrition that is both high in calories and protein. The smooth texture and moist consistency of the mashed potatoes can make swallowing more comfortable during this week.
- 2 ½ pound of potatoes (about 6 large potatoes)
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- salt for seasoning
1. In a large pot on high heat, bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, peel and quarter the potatoes and let them soak in cold water until they are ready to cook (can be done up to 4 hours in advance). Add the potatoes to the boiling water and boil for about 15-20 minutes or until soft.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, sauté the ground beef in a pan until cooked and set aside.
4. In a saucepan or microwave oven, heat the butter and cream together until the butter is melted and the mixture is steamy.
5. Drain the cooked potatoes and return to the pot. Use a potato masher or a fork to mash the hot potatoes until smooth. A few second with an immersion blender will make your potatoes extra creamy. Be careful not to blend for too long or they will become sticky and starchy.
6. Microwave the frozen peas according to the instruction on the package.
7. Add the ground beef and peas to the mashed potatoes, stir with a spoon until combined.
8. Serve and enjoy!
This video is intended for use by staff of Stanford Health Care. No representatives or warranties are made for outside use. Not for reproduction or publication without permission.
Published August 2018
Stanford Health Care © 2018