This flavor filled recipe for Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup is a hearty meal for the whole family. Soups are great for exploring a variety of flavors and textures and are easy to adjust based on your preference.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1-quart canned chicken broth
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) or soy sauce
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- basil, for serving
- 12 pounds egg fettuccine
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 14-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Sesame oil (for garnish)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. In a large pot over low heat, add the cooking oil. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until translucent, stir occasionally. Add the garlic, coriander, and ginger (optional), and stir for 30 seconds. Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, and salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and reduce the heat. Partially cover the pot and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine about 12 minutes. Drain the water from the pasta in a colander and set to the side.
3. Add the chicken to the soup and simmer about 1.5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fettuccine and cilantro.
4. Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with basil (optional).
This video is intended for use by staff of Stanford Health Care. No representatives or warranties are made for outside use. Not for reproduction or publication without permission.
Published August 2018
Stanford Health Care © 2018