The Stanford Hand Therapy Clinical Fellowship Program is an 11-month intensive learning experience in a renowned academic medical center with an experienced and talented hand therapy team. Our mission is to provide a supportive and evidence-based entry point for occupational therapists wanting to specialize and become leaders in the field of hand therapy. Our program was the first AOTA-accredited fellowship program in Hand Therapy and offers unique learning experiences including:
- 1:1 mentor time with a fellowship faculty CHT and clinic manager
- Participation in lectures, rounds, cadaver labs, and/or journal clubs with the hand surgery department, including attending surgeons, hand surgery fellows and surgical residents
- Lectures by the hand therapy fellowship faculty
- Shadowing opportunities for hand surgery clinics, surgery, pediatric hand therapy, outpatient pain occupational therapy, and physical therapy in Stanford's ortho sports outpatient clinic
- Interdisciplinary lectures from our colleagues in the physical therapy orthopedics residency
- An open and collaborative work environment with the hand therapy team
- 70% supervised patient care, 30% didactic learning
- Full access to Stanford University's Lane Medical Library
The goal of the program is to accept candidates with:
- At least 1 year of work experience as an occupational therapist (OT) with some of that experience in a hand therapy setting. Examples of acceptable hand therapy experience include a level II fieldwork placement in hand therapy, employment in a hand therapy clinic, or shadowing a hand therapist.
- A strong desire to become a master hand therapist and gain the knowledge and skills to successfully earn the certified hand therapist (CHT) designation and AOTA Board Certification in Physical Rehabilitation (BCPR).
How to Apply
OTs can send a letter of interest with an attached resume to:
Wendy Moore, OTR/L, CHT email@example.com
Review of applicants begins in mid-May, with a candidate being selected by July.
The hand therapy fellowship begins the last week of September and ends in mid-August.
Compensation and Benefits
Hand therapy fellows are formally hired by Stanford Medicine as a fully benefitted entry-level therapist at 75% FTE. Benefits include health insurance. Housing and living expenses are the responsibility of the fellow.
The Hand Therapy Clinical Fellowship Program is located at:
Stanford Medicine Outpatient Center in Redwood City, California.