New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Hearty Beef Stew with Winter Vegetables
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Per Serving: 445 calories, 11g fat, (3 g saturated fat), 42g protein, 35g carbs, 5 g fiber, 611mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is OK for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet).
Salt to taste (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
Flour for dredging
2 cups diced, canned tomatoes, with juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large russet potatoes, diced
4 large carrots, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
3 pounds beef stew meat (top round) cut into 2-inch cubes
1 bay leaf
2 cups red wine
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 small yellow onions, diced
2 sprigs thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 large parsnips, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Dredge it in flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides. Adjust the heat so that the meat browns well, but does not burn.
- Add the onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook 2 minutes more. Add the red wine. Stir with a wooden spoon to release any caramelized bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices and the beef broth and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so that the stew simmers. Add the carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Cook until meat is tender and vegetables are completely tender. (The potatoes will fall apart and thicken the sauce.)
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf and serve in a deep tureen.
Recipe from: www.foodfit.com