Per Serving: 202 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 29g carbs, 6g protein, 5g fiber, 196mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is ok for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet)…ONLY if vegetables are thoroughly cooked and yogurt is omitted from recipe – just use the hummus.
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together the yogurt, hummus and oregano in a small bowl. Season it to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Coat a grill with cooking spray. Heat it until very hot.
- Put the vegetables on skewers, one type of vegetable per skewer.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, pepper flakes and oil for the marinade. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Pour the marinade into a flat pan or plate big enough to hold the skewered vegetables. Place the skewers in the pan, turning to coat all sides of the vegetables, using a pastry brush, if desired.
- Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender. Check frequently. Tomatoes will cook the fastest; the other vegetables will take varying amounts of time. Remove each skewer when it is done. Slide the vegetables off the skewer and into a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap for 10 minutes, so the vegetables can release their juices and soften. Meanwhile, heat the pita bread, either on the grill for 1 minute or in the microwave for 15 seconds, until warm and soft.
- Tuck ¼ of the vegetables into the pocket of each pita. Top it with a quarter of the yogurt sauce and serve.
Recipe from: AICR's New American Plate Cookbook, 2005