Notice: Users may be experiencing issues with displaying some pages on stanfordhealthcare.org. We are working closely with our technical teams to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
We are available to assist you 24/7.
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Peppers Stuffed with Barley, Parmesan and Onion
Serving Size: 242 calories, 41g carbs, 8g protein, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g fiber, 120mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is OK for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet). Dairy OK
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
¾ cup medium pearl barley
4 bell peppers of any color, stem & seeds removed
4 cups water
Paprika for garnish
6 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese, divided
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add barley and water. Bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour, or until barley is tender and water is absorbed. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 4 Tbsp parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff equal amounts of barley into peppers. Place in a baking dish. Pour hot water into bottom of baking dish to cover ½ inch.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle tops of peppers with remaining parmesan cheese and paprika. Continue to bake an additional 15 minutes.
Recipe from: American Institute for Cancer Research Newsletter, Fall 2005