Serving Size: 242 calories, 41g carbs, 8g protein, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g fiber, 120mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is OK for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet). Dairy OK
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add barley and water. Bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour, or until barley is tender and water is absorbed. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 4 Tbsp parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff equal amounts of barley into peppers. Place in a baking dish. Pour hot water into bottom of baking dish to cover ½ inch.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle tops of peppers with remaining parmesan cheese and paprika. Continue to bake an additional 15 minutes.
Recipe from: American Institute for Cancer Research Newsletter, Fall 2005