Serves: 8: ½ cup servings
Per Serving: 101 calories, 16g carbs, 2g protein, 3g fat, <1g saturated fat, 2g fiber, 27mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is NOT OK for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet).
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ Tbsp orange juice
1 ½ Tbsp tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tsp orange zest
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Canola oil spray
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup quinoa
1 medium leek (white part only) cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 small red onion, chopped into ½ inch pieces
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces
2 medium beets (red or golden), peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prepare dressing in small bowl by whisking together oil, vinegar, orange juice, zest, salt and pepper.
- Arrange carrot, beets, leek, sweet potato and onion in single layer on baking sheet. Sprinkle with tarragon. Drizzle 1 ½ tablespoons of dressing over vegetables. Bake 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While vegetables are roasting, in fine mesh sieve, rinse quinoa well under cold running water; drain. In saucepan, place quinoa and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent. Transfer to bowl and let cool.
- When vegetables are tender, remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Add vegetables to quinoa. Toss with remaining dressing. If not serving right away, cover salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from: American Institute for Cancer Research NEWSLETTER, Fall 2005