Per Serving: 200 Calories, 9g Protein, 10g Fat, 20g Carbohydrate, 5g Fiber, 188mg Sodium
4 large yellow beets, stems and leaves removed, peeled and quartered
4-6 medium beet leaves, washed and sliced lengthwise, ¼ inch
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large orange, zest and juice
2 ½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup pomegranate seeds or ¼ cup dried cranberries
12 large, dry* sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
3 cups arugula
½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
*Dry scallops are shucked and stored in a container with no water or preservatives.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, toss beets with 2 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in shallow roasting pan, cover with foil and roast for 40-45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside four quarters of beets for use in salad.
- In blender, combine ¼ cup orange juice, orange zest and vinegar and pulse to combine. With blender on low speed, slowly add 2 Tbsp olive oils until well blended. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- When remaining beets are cool enough to handle, chop into large pieces, place been pieces in blender with yogurt, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp of water. Blend until smooth, stirring with rubber spatula as needed. Place puree and 1 tsp olive oil in small saucepan over low heat until mixture is warm. Set aside.
- Slice remaining beets into thin julienne slices. In large bowl, combine slices with beet leaves, arugula and pomegranate seeds. Toss salad with vinaigrette.
- In large skillet or saute pan heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Lightly season scallops with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet. Sear scallops for 2-3 minutes on each side, until almost firm to the touch.
- On each of 6 small plates, place 2-3 Tbsps of warm beet puree on one side and top with 2 scallops. Place ½ cup salad next to scallops and serve.
Recipe from: Bryn Timmis, 1st place winner of 2014 AICR/C-CAP Healthy Appetizer Contest; www.AICR.org