Per Serving: 281 calories, 8g total fat (2g saturated fat), 33g carbohydrate, 19g protein, 3g fiber, 246mg sodium
NOTE: OK for those on the Low Microbial Diet.
1 cup cut green beans, fresh if possible, otherwise frozen / thawed
1 cup low fat (1%) milk – or milk alternative
Canola or olive oil Spray
¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 large carrot, sliced into ¼-in pieces
3 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
2 cups cooked flat noodles, preferably whole wheat
1 cup fat free reduced sodium chicken or veg broth
½ cup frozen corn, thawed
8 oz diced cooked chicken breast
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
⅓ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat 2-quart casserole dish or 7x11 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, milk, and chicken broth. Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil and sauté mushrooms, onions, green beans, carrots, and corn over medium heat, 7-8 minutes, stirring often, until carrots are just tender. Add flour and milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken and bubble. Stir in chicken, cooked noodles, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs with remaining 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top of casserole and continue to bake an additional 5 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Recipe from: The New American Plate – American Institute for Cancer Research