New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Tofu Cutlets Marsala
Total Preparation and Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 334 calories, 18g fat, 25g carbs, 11g protein, 2g fiber, 256mg sodium
NOTE: This recipe is OK for those on the LMD (Low Microbial Diet).
¼ cup plus 2 tsp cornstarch, divided
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
6 cups sliced cremini or white mushrooms
1 14-oz block extra-firm tofu, drained, rinsed and cut crosswise into 8 ½-inch thick slices
2 large shallots, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup dry Marsala wine
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup vegetable or reduced sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Whisk ¼ cup cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Pat tofu with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge 4 tofu slices in the flour mixture, add them to the pan and cook until crispy and golden, about 3 minutes per side. Place the tofu on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and the remaining tofu, adjusting the heat if necessary to prevent scorching.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, shallots and thyme to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots are slightly soft and beginning to brown, 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until tender and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir in Marsala and simmer until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Whisk the remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch with broth and tomato paste in a small bowl. Stir into the mushroom mixture, return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and glossy, about 4 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the hot sauce over the tofu.
Recipe from: Eating Well, October/November 2005 issue