LIFELONG LEARNING AND SELF-ASSESSMENT IS RELEVANT TO EMERGENCY PHYSICIANS JOURNAL OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE Jones, J. H., Smith-Coggins, R., Meredith, J. M., Korte, R. C., Reisdorff, E. J., Russ, C. M. 2013; 45 (6): 935-940


The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added.As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care.Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician's clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses.There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7%) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6% strongly relevant, 28.1% some relevance, and 2.3% little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8%, some likelihood 53.0%, little or no change 8.2%).The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians' clinical practices.

View details for DOI 10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050

View details for Web of Science ID 000327535800038

View details for PubMedID 23937810