Our purpose was to determine the mammographic/galactographic features of solitary breast papillomas and to correlate these features with the pathologic findings.Retrospective review of pathology files revealed 72 women in whom breast biopsy reports described a solitary papilloma. All patients with additional pathologic abnormalities were excluded from this study. Patients meeting the pathologic criteria and for whom mammograms, galactograms, or both were available and had been obtained within 6 months before biopsy were included. Twenty-four women met these criteria and form the basis of this study. Presenting clinical signs and symptoms were reviewed. Abnormal mammographic/galactographic findings were correlated with pathologic features.Nipple discharge was present in 21 (88%) of 24 patients, two (8%) of 24 patients had abnormal findings on screening mammography, and one patient had a palpable mass that was visible on mammograms. Eight (42%) of 19 mammograms had abnormal findings, including dilated duct(s) in five cases (26%), nodules in two cases (11%), and microcalcifications in one case (5%). All technically adequate galactograms (13/15) had abnormal findings, with 12 (92%) of 13 showing an intraluminal filling defect. The other technically adequate galactogram (8%) showed only a solitary obstructed duct. Ductal dilatation was greatest at or central to the papilloma on 12 (92%) of 13 galactograms. Imaging features correlated well with the histologic findings.Patients with solitary papillomas most commonly have nipple discharge, normal mammographic findings, and a galactographic filling defect. Galactography is useful for localizing papillomas.
View details for Web of Science ID A1992JJ98300009
View details for PubMedID 1503011