Endoscopic Endonasal Pituitary Surgery: Impact of Surgical Education on Operation Length and Patient Morbidity JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY PART B-SKULL BASE Dedhia, R. C., Lord, C. A., Pinheiro-Neto, C. D., Fernandez-Miranda, J. C., Wang, E. W., Gardner, P. A., Snyderman, C. H. 2012; 73 (6): 405–9


Objectives To determine the difference in operative times and associated complications for cases performed solely by attending-level surgeons versus cases assisted by surgeons-in-training for endoscopic endonasal pituitary surgeries. Design Retrospective chart review. Setting Tertiary-care academic medical center. Participants A total of 228 patients having undergone endoscopic endonasal pituitary surgery from 2005 to 2011. Main Outcome Measure Duration of surgery comparing attending only (AO) and trainee-assisted (TA) surgeries. Results Thirty-seven (19%) of 198 cases were identified as AO surgeries, the remaining 161 (81%) were TA. Operative times (minutes) for the AO group were significantly shorter than the TA group (149.1?±?54.8 vs 219.5?±?83.7, p?

View details for PubMedID 24294558