Anthony Fauci, MD, the nation’s top infectious disease expert spoke with School of Medicine Dean Lloyd Minor about the challenges posed by COVID-19, the hope for emerging vaccines and treatments, and what’s still unknown about the virus.
Topics discussed include:
- Predictions on the development of a COVID-19 vaccine
- Additional therapeutics in clinical trials to hold off the mortality rate of COVID-19 until there is a vaccine, such as monoclonal antibodies and antivirals
- Redesigning the clinical trial infrastructure to maximize therapeutic benefits
- Strategies in place to quickly ramp up production of a vaccine for equitable and global distribution
- Slowing the resurgence of cases both nationally and within the State of California
- Addressing the population disadvantages in society during a pandemic