How is psoriasis treated?
Most cases of psoriasis are mild and can be treated with:
- Creams, ointments, and lotions to moisturize the skin.
- Shampoos, oils, and sprays to treat psoriasis of the scalp.
- Some exposure to sunlight.
Depending on what type of psoriasis you have, treatment may also include:
- Skin products that your doctor prescribes.
- Pills that your doctor prescribes.
- Shots to help your immune system.
- Phototherapy. This involves exposing your skin to special ultraviolet light.
In some cases, psoriasis can be hard to treat. You may need to try different combinations of treatments to find what works for you. Treatment for psoriasis may go on for a lifetime.
Treat scalp or nail psoriasis
Scalp and nail psoriasis can be hard to treat. Both conditions are more likely to improve with medicines taken by mouth (oral medicines). Treatment for the scalp often includes tar shampoos or corticosteroid solutions.