Notice: Users may be experiencing issues with displaying some pages on stanfordhealthcare.org. We are working closely with our technical teams to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Another transplant option that expands the available pool of donor organs is split liver transplantation. In this procedure, a single deceased donor liver is divided into right and left portions that are implanted into two recipients simultaneously. Typically, an adult patient receives about 60 percent of the liver (the right lobe), while a pediatric patient receives the other about 40 percent of the liver (the left lobe).
The first split liver transplantation was performed at Stanford in 1996, with both patients making smooth recoveries. This innovative surgical technique maximizes the benefit of each available donor organ, making transplantation possible for two people.
The Stanford Medicine Online Second Opinion program offers you easy access to our world-class doctors. It’s all done remotely and you don’t have to visit our hospital or one of our clinics for this service. You don’t even need to leave home!