Find the latest information on COVID-19, monkeypox, and the flu vaccine
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Procedure - Advanced Colonoscopy
What to Expect: Advanced Colonoscopy
Through years of experience, our gastroenterologists have developed expertise in manipulating special tools to help you achieve a complete colonoscopy. If we find any polyps during your procedure, you can relax knowing we remove them right away. We have special expertise in removing large and difficult-to-treat polyps.
Preparing for Your Advanced Colonoscopy (Colonoscopy Prep)
- Before your colonoscopy, you need to clean out your colon (colon prep). Colon prep usually takes one day.
- Colon prep can be time consuming and a little uncomfortable, but it is absolutely necessary for a quick and successful colonoscopy.
- To make your prep successful, you should consume a liquid diet (such as clear broth, black coffee, tea, apple juice, clear soft drinks, and popsicles) the day before your colonoscopy.
- The evening before your colonoscopy and early in the morning on the day of your colonoscopy, you drink a liquid that triggers bowel-clearing diarrhea.
- You should plan to stay home during this process since you will need to use the bathroom often.
Advanced Colonoscopy Procedure
Undergoing an advanced colonoscopy is similar to undergoing a typical diagnostic or screening colonoscopy. For both procedures, doctors use a long, thin flexible tube (colonoscope or endoscope) to examine your colon. However, during advanced colonoscopy, we may use additional specialized tools, including:
- Short turn radius colonoscope: This special tool helps navigate loops, turns, and nonstandard angles in your colon.
- Wide-angled colonoscope: Research shows that this tool helps improve polyp detection rates.
- High-definition colonoscope: A special camera attached to the tip of the colonoscope displays images with exquisite detail.
- Fold-flattening devices: Special instruments smooth out folds of tissue within your colon.
- Full spectrum endoscopy: This endoscope allows nearly panoramic views of up to 330°, compared to 170° views available from traditional tools.
- Specialized techniques for polyp removal: We use specialized techniques and tools to remove challenging polyps.
If we cannot complete your colonoscopy using these techniques, we offer same-day virtual colonoscopy. This test uses imaging technology to examine the full length of your large intestine.