New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Our Approach to Laser Treatments
The doctors in the Stanford Health Care Dermatologic Surgery program not only have the expertise to help improve the health and appearance of your skin, they are leading the development of new technologies and techniques not yet available at other centers.
What We Offer You for Laser Treatments
- Years of experience using laser treatments safely and effectively.
- Expertise using lasers to treat wrinkles, scars, and varicose veins, and to remove tattoos.
- Fast treatment with minimal pain and downtime.
- Treatment available in a comfortable, private, easy to reach setting.
What is Laser Treatment?
About Laser Treatment
Laser treatments have an exceptional track record of safety and effectiveness.
They use focused light to safely and effectively help remove skin cells damaged by sun and aging.
Laser treatments also can destroy unwanted blood vessels (for example, spider veins), stretch marks, and some scars without damaging surrounding tissue.
What to Expect from Laser Treatment
Laser vein treatment
We use a topical anesthetic cream before treating some conditions. Sometimes patients experience mild discomfort, like a mosquito sting or a snapping rubber band. But usually, the discomfort is so minimal that no anesthesia or pain relief is needed.
Pulsed dye lasers can cause a few temporary changes:
- Redness like a slapped cheek that lasts several hours and occasionally a day or two
- Swelling that soon goes away
- Bruising that lasts 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the condition and the number of treatments — your doctor can modify your plan to avoid this, or you can use a water-based makeup to cover up
Most patients return to work the day after treatment.
While our treatment recommendations depend on your specific condition, many times you can choose between 2 options:
- Deeper treatments (usually to the dermis, the lowest layer) — meaning just one or two sessions but a longer recovery (the deeper the treatment, the longer the healing period and the more redness)
- A choice to use fractional technology — vaporizing tiny columns of skin, leaving islands of normal skin untouched to reduce complications and speed healing
- Less downtime per sessio
- Multiple sessions — 4 to 6 treatments for the best results, usually every 4 weeks but sometimes 7 to 10 days apar
- Little discomfort and minimal risk — unlike the ablative approach, it spares the skin's outer barrier and the nerves in the superficial portions of skin
- Gradual improvement — though you will notice a change even after the first treatment
Both treatments help by stimulating the production of collagen, one of the proteins that support your skin.
Laser tattoo removal
There's no reason to keep a tattoo you no longer want — we can remove a wide range of colors and inks safely and effectively with the latest, fastest lasers available.
Compared to other removal techniques like surgery, bleaching, and sanding, lasers offer important advantages:
- Shorter treatment sessions (usually 15 to 30 minutes each)
- Little to no scarring
- Permanent removal of a wide range of tattoo inks and pigmentations
Pavilion B, 4th Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063
Phone: 650-725-5272 Getting Here »
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Stanford Health Care provides laser treatments for wrinkles scars, varicose veins, and skin spots.
Laser treatment Laser resurfacing laser vein treatment laser tattoo removal wrinkles acne scar varicose veins spider veins