Why Choose Us: GI Nutrition Services at Stanford Health Care
Working with hundreds of patients every year, our dedicated nutrition experts help you get the nutrition you need, even if you have complex conditions, such as short bowel syndrome, or intestinal failure. We are one of the few comprehensive nutrition programs in the country with a dedicated team of physicians, nurses and a registered dietician specializing in gastrointestinal disorders.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: As a referral center, patients come to us from all over the U.S. due to our significant experience with complex medical and nutrition issues. We successfully treat the most challenging digestive disorders.
- Personalized treatments: We develop personalized nutrition therapies based on your medical condition, food preferences, culture and lifestyle. We pride ourselves in getting to know our patients' personal needs so we can develop a nutrition plan that you feel good about and can stick with.
- Seamless care: Working closely as a team, we carefully coordinate your medical and nutrition therapy to optimize your digestive health. This includes care you receive inside and outside the hospital. If your symptoms change or come back, our entire team works together, adjusting your therapies so you can get relief as quickly as possible.
- Translational medicine: As a world-class academic research center, physicians at Stanford lead promising research to advance clinical care for complex gastrointestinal disorders. This work allows us to offer the best available care.
The goals of nutrition therapy are to:
- Improve your appetite
- Stop undesirable weight loss
- Reduce exposure to foods that can trigger your symptoms (trigger foods)
- Correct nutritional deficiencies
- Optimize digestive functioning
- Promote positive eating behaviors
- Help patients on a feeding tube and total parenteral nutrition go back to eating solid foods
Through regular follow-up appointments, we learn about your preferences and experiences. Working together, we develop innovative strategies to help you feel better and achieve treatment goals. When your nutrition is optimized, other treatments for your condition also work more effectively.