Notice: Users may be experiencing issues with displaying some pages on stanfordhealthcare.org. We are working closely with our technical teams to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
We are available to assist you 24/7.
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
General Surgery - After Surgery Discomforts
After Surgery: Discomforts
The amount of discomfort following surgery depends on the type of surgery performed. Some typical discomforts include:
- Nausea and vomiting from general anesthesia
- Soreness in the throat if the patient needs artificial ventilation (the soreness is caused by the tube placed in the windpipe for breathing during surgery)
- Soreness and swelling around the incision site
- Restlessness and sleeplessness
- Constipation and flatulence