New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
General Surgery - Surgery Checklist
Surgery Checklists and Information
Checklist for surgery
The decision to have surgery is a very important one. You will need to be fully informed and prepared for the surgery, as well as for any special needs that you may have following the surgery. Your preparation will affect the outcome and the results. The following is a checklist to assist you in your preparation for surgery:
- Make a list of questions to ask your physician/surgeon regarding the type of surgery recommended.
- Determine if the surgical procedure is right for you.
- Obtain a second opinion, if desired.
- Check with your health plan regarding costs and coverages of the upcoming surgery.
- Obtain costs from physicians and hospital or outpatient facility.
- Schedule the surgery.
- Prepare lists of prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, herbal supplements, even illegal substances that you are currently taking (or have recently taken) for physicians; review with the anesthesiologist and surgeons.
- Schedule preoperative laboratory tests.
- Arrange for preoperative interview with the anesthesiologist.
- Follow all instructions during the weeks and days preceding surgery.
- Discontinue indicated prescription or over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements prior to surgery, as directed by your surgeon/physician.
- Arrange for necessary home care, equipment, etc., following surgery.
- Sign all informed consent, and other legal forms, before surgery.
- Quit smoking to help in your recovery process.
After a patient is diagnosed and surgery is recommended, most insurance companies require "precertification" from the physician's office before allowing a patient to undergo the procedure. Please check with your insurance carrier on the appropriate steps to take. Some insurance companies also require patients to pay a co-payment for the hospital stay.