Find the latest information on COVID-19, monkeypox, and the flu vaccine
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss
Experts in Bariatric and Metabolic Disorders
Bariatric surgery, and the lifestyle changes required to achieve your desired outcome, requires a serious commitment on your part. But your commitment also comes with a promise from the Bariatric and Metabolic Interdisciplinary Clinic (BMI Clinic) to do everything we can to help you succeed. Stanford's Bariatric Surgery Clinic is the first Center of Excellence in Northern California to achieve Level 1A certification by the American College of Surgeons.
Advanced Practice Provider
Care and Treatment of Bariatric and Metabolic Disorders
(Not all services available at all locations.)
Medical Weight Loss Program
Many people struggle to lose weight and keep it off. It can be a frustrating experience. We’re here to help you.
The Stanford Bariatric and Metabolic Interdisciplinary Clinic (BMI Clinic) offers a medical weight loss program tailored to your specific needs. We provide an array of services, from nutrition support to stress management and help with sleep issues to medications to endoscopic and surgical solutions. We address all the factors that may be blocking you from enjoying a full, healthy life.
Am I a candidate for Medical Weight Loss?
Anyone with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or over can benefit from a medical weight loss program. Body mass index measures your body fat relative to your height and weight. Use our BMI calculator to see if a medical weight loss program may be right for you.
You may also be a candidate for this program if you are experiencing other weight-related conditions, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea. Learn more about these and other obesity-related conditions we treat.
What is Medical Weight Loss?
Unlike other weight loss programs, medical weight loss is not self-directed and patients should not self-treat this disease. Your care team will include experts from the fields of medicine, nutrition, psychology, sleep therapy, and many others. This type of holistic program leads to better patient outcomes.
Our medical weight loss program includes components tailored to your specific needs. These may include:
- Protein meal replacement products
- Weight loss medications
- Ongoing behavioral therapy
- Nutritional counseling
Medical Weight Loss at Stanford
Whether you need to lose a few pounds or many, we can help you achieve your goals. Our targeted plans provide you with a personalized weight loss program developed and overseen by a team of experts.
Our program features:
- Medically supervised weight loss. At the BMI Clinic, a physician oversees your weight loss program. This medical management allows for advanced interventions, such as prescription weight loss medications. Your clinician also will assess and treat possible medical causes for your weight gain.
- Dedicated weight loss team. Our dieticians are devoted to our BMI Clinic patients, which allows them to specialize in the needs of our patients. The same holds true for our other bariatric experts, such as psychologists who specialize in eating issues.
- Seamless coordination of your care. Because our entire team is located under one roof, they can easily communicate important information, adjust your program and make sure your weight loss stays on track.
- Convenient scheduling. We work with you to coordinate appointments so you can see everyone on the same day.
Medical Weight Loss: what to expect
At the BMI Clinic, we start by performing a comprehensive assessment of your overall health. During your evaluation, we will ask you about:
- Medications you take
- What your home and work environment is like
- Personal triggers that may lead you to overeat
- Recent blood work
- Potential medical causes for your weight gain
- How you feel about food and eating
- Sleep patterns
- Your stress level
This list touches on just a few aspects of our comprehensive evaluation process.
At your first appointment with the BMI Clinic, you will see an Advanced Practice Provider and Dietician. Because all our experts practice in the same building, you won’t have to travel to different clinics for multiple appointments. Weight management can be hard. We want to make it as easy as possible for you.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 650-736-5800.
Clinical trials are research studies that evaluate a new medical approach, device, drug, or other treatment. As a Stanford Health Care patient, you may have access to the latest, advanced clinical trials.
Open trials refer to studies currently accepting participants. Closed trials are not currently enrolling, but may open in the future.
To request an appointment with one of our bariatric specialists, call:
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss in Palo Alto: 650-736-5800
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss at ValleyCare: 925-416-6720