Find the latest information on COVID-19, monkeypox, and the flu vaccine
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss
Experts in Bariatric and Metabolic Disorders
Bariatric surgery, and the lifestyle changes required to achieve your desired outcome, requires a serious commitment on your part. But your commitment also comes with a promise from the Bariatric and Metabolic Interdisciplinary Clinic (BMI Clinic) to do everything we can to help you succeed. Stanford's Bariatric Surgery Clinic is the first Center of Excellence in Northern California to achieve Level 1A certification by the American College of Surgeons.
Advanced Practice Provider
Care and Treatment of Bariatric and Metabolic Disorders
(Not all services available at all locations.)
Obesity is not just about a number on a scale. Being overweight causes damage to nearly all body systems. Losing and managing your weight not only improves your health, but also helps you better manage a number of chronic conditions.
At the Stanford BMI Clinic, we treat the full range of obesity-related conditions, from heart and joint disease to fertility problems.
Obesity-related conditions we treat
We treat all the related conditions caused by being overweight, including:
- Accelerated aging. Some studies suggest obesity makes you age faster.
- Acid reflux. People with weight issues often experience heartburn. Weight loss can make that go away.
- Back pain. Your spine supports your entire body. Excess weight puts stress on your spine, leading to pain.
- Fertility problems. If you’re overweight and having trouble getting pregnant, bariatric surgery or a medical weight loss program may help you conceive.
- Heart disease. Fat doesn’t just live on the ‘outside’ of the body, where you can see it. Fat can clog arteries and lead to heart disease. Losing weight through bariatric surgery or a medical weight loss program can help keep your heart healthy.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure). When you’re overweight, your heart has to work harder to pump blood throughout your body. Losing weight can reduce your blood pressure.
- Joint pain. Excess weight can erode the lining of your knee and hip joints. This makes walking painful. You can preserve your joints by maintaining a healthy weight.
- Liver disease. Internal fat can accumulate in the liver and cause tissue scarring. When you lose weight, the liver often can heal itself.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Beyond snoring, sleep apnea causes you to actually stop breathing during the night. Eventually, this lack of oxygen can damage your heart. Obesity can cause OSA, and losing weight can cure it.
- Risk of cognitive impairment. Overweight people may be more prone to developing dementia or another cognitive impairment, according to some recent research.
- Type 2 diabetes. This condition can be minimized or even reversed through weight loss.
Clinical trials are research studies that evaluate a new medical approach, device, drug, or other treatment. As a Stanford Health Care patient, you may have access to the latest, advanced clinical trials.
Open trials refer to studies currently accepting participants. Closed trials are not currently enrolling, but may open in the future.
To request an appointment with one of our bariatric specialists, call:
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss in Palo Alto: 650-736-5800
Bariatric Surgery & Medical Weight Loss at ValleyCare: 925-416-6720