Interpreter Services provides medical interpretation and translation. The department includes staff, interns, agency interpreters, videoconference and telephone interpreters who support full coverage throughout all of Stanford Health Care.
- Spanish interpreters are on the premises 24/7 for the Hospital and for the Emergency Department.
- Interpreters for other languages are on the premises during clinic business hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday: American Sign Language (ASL), Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian and Vietnamese.
- Interpreters for additional spoken languages can be available during clinic business hours, when pre-scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- Telephone interpreters for over 200 spoken languages and video-conference Sign Language Interpreters can be accessed 24/7.
- Stanford interpreters are required to adhere to professional standards, including interpreting everything said, and protecting the patient's right to self-determination, confidentiality and quality care.
- Interpreter Services offers written translations of medical documents including: consent forms, research and treatment protocols, patient information, medical letters, diagnostic studies and other documents used by health professionals. Our translation processes are approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which oversees medical research protocol.
- The turn-around time depends on the length of the material, the language, and the urgency.
- Translations of patient medical records need a minimum of five business days.
- Translation requests are expected to be submitted via e-mail.
Interpreter & Translation Services Policy
Interpreter & Translation Services Policy (Chinese)
Interpreter & Translation Services Policy (Russian)
Interpreter & Translation Services Policy (Spanish)
Interpreter & Translation Services Policy (Vietnamese)