Leaders in Diabetes Care
In our accredited diabetes program, we focus on empowering you as we work together to manage or prevent diabetes. We combine comprehensive education with leading-edge technology to guide you on your journey toward better health.
What We Offer You for Diabetes Care
- Specialized expertise in diabetes self-management, featuring a robust education program, one-on-one counseling, and customized plans to prevent complications.
- Advanced treatment options including the latest insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM), and apps for sharing data with your care team.
- Team-based approach through close collaboration with registered dietitians and weight management specialists.
- Comprehensive support services that include counseling, support groups, and tips for adopting a healthier lifestyle.
Our knowledgeable experts work with you to manage diabetes mellitus, a group of chronic conditions that cause abnormal blood sugar (glucose) levels. The types of diabetes result from various problems with insulin, a hormone that controls blood sugar levels.
We approach diabetes from all angles, combining comprehensive education, counseling, nutrition, and support services with the latest innovations in insulin pump technology.
Our program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association for quality diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES). This distinction reflects our commitment to providing you with the tools and support you need to manage or prevent diabetes. No matter where you are on your diabetes journey, we’re here for you.
Expertise in managing diabetes and related conditions
In our nationally recognized diabetes self-management program, we offer education, support, and access to life-changing insulin pump technologies.
- Type 1 diabetes: Your pancreas produces little or no insulin due to an autoimmune reaction.
- Type 2 diabetes: Your body is resistant to insulin, resulting in high blood sugar levels.
- Gestational diabetes: Women who never had diabetes may develop it during pregnancy.
- Prediabetes: Your body is resistant to insulin, but blood sugar levels are not high enough to be diagnosed as Type 2 diabetes.
Our multispecialty team offers a comprehensive, customized approach to diabetes self-management. You’ll receive tailored education and compassionate support from a team of experts, including Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialists and registered dietitians. Our board-certified endocrinologists have expertise in a range of medications and therapies, including state-of-the-art insulin pumps with integrated continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) technology.
Through our renowned diabetes self-management program, we offer the tools you need to keep diabetes under control, reduce complications, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. For people who have prediabetes, we develop realistic health and nutrition plans and work together to help you reach your goals. Our experts customize each plan based on your age, diabetes type, and lifestyle.
Our diabetes self-management education program features customized classes that give you the resources you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Through seminars, interactive small-group classes, and one-on-one sessions, we focus on:
- Eating well, increasing physical activity, and avoiding unhealthy habits
- Controlling your hemoglobin A1C, cholesterol, and triglycerides
- Managing stress and working through anxiety
- Monitoring your blood sugar
- Preventing or reducing complications from diabetes
- Solving problems and setting goals
- Using your medications, pumps, and glucose monitors effectively
We understand that diabetes is life-altering. Although you may feel overwhelmed at times, you are not alone. Our counselors help you manage diabetes and enjoy a happier, healthier life.
- One-on-one counseling and education to follow up after group classes, address special needs, or explore specific issues
- Support groups with other people who share your experiences and can offer guidance, tips, and comfort
- Special programs and tailored support for women who have gestational diabetes and people who develop complications from diabetes
Nutritional guidance and weight management
Our registered dietitians and weight management specialists provide personalized wellness plans and nutritional counseling to help you feel better. Our program includes:
- Weight management services tailored to your needs, including medical weight loss and weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery)
Glucose monitoring, insulin, and medications
We’re at the forefront of the latest therapies, including continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices that connect to insulin pumps. These innovative technologies offer more flexibility and freedom than ever before.
- Blood glucose meters: Devices that measure blood glucose levels
- Remote monitoring: Secure, online system that shares blood glucose levels with your care team from anywhere so we can adjust treatment plans as needed
- Medications: Drugs that control blood sugar and help you manage diabetes
- Insulin: Synthetic form of the hormone that regulates blood sugar levels
- Insulin pumps: Programmable devices that deliver a steady flow of insulin, day and night, through an infusion site on your body
- Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices: Meters that continuously measure blood sugar levels through a sensor implanted under the skin
- Closed-loop insulin delivery systems: Systems that combine an insulin pump and a CGM device to automatically adjust insulin levels
As leaders in diabetes care, our experts work closely with people who have prediabetes or have a higher risk of developing the condition. Prediabetes can often be reversed with lifestyle changes, such as:
- Choosing healthy foods and reducing or avoiding sugar, saturated fat, and alcohol
- Exercising and staying active
- Losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight
- Taking medication if your doctor recommends it
Advanced care for complications
Diabetes can affect the entire body and lead to nerve damage, kidney disease, digestive issues, skin problems, vision loss, cardiovascular disease, and fatty liver disease. People with diabetes may also feel overwhelmed or depressed. Our experts collaborate with specialists across departments to prevent diabetes complications and deliver advanced care tailored to your needs.
Your Diabetes Care Team
Our team includes board-certified endocrinologists, dietitians, and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialists. Together, we partner with you to develop a customized self-management plan. If diabetes complications occur, we collaborate with specialists in cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, and ophthalmology to offer you seamless care.
Endocrinologists are internal medicine physicians who specialize in the endocrine (hormone and gland) system. They work to monitor how your insulin is reacting within the biochemical processes of your body.View All Endocrinologists »
Extended Care Team
Nursing and Advance Practice Providers
Many members of your team have undergone additional training and education to deliver some of the same care as doctors. They work closely with your endocrinologist and primary care doctor.
After a diabetes diagnosis, you will likely need to modify your diet. Our food and nutrition experts will work with you to make healthy changes to your eating habits in a sustainable way.
We help with the details so you can focus on your health and wellness. We offer a range of patient services and helpful information to coordinate the various aspects of your care:
We’re committed to helping you manage or prevent diabetes by offering convenient access to our effective self-management program and the latest innovations in diabetes care. You’ll have everything you need to live a healthier life.
Convenient care where you live and work
- Insurance and billing: We accept several insurance plans to serve you. Please check with your plan to confirm coverage. Find out more about patient financial services at Stanford Health Care Tri-Valley.
- Coordinated care: You have access to experts from different specialties in one integrated diabetes self-management program. We collaborate to offer you seamless care.
- MyHealth: Our MyHealth system allows you to access your records and test results through a secure, online portal and device app. You can also communicate with your doctors.
- Send referrals online
- Place radiology orders
- View referral status
- Access medical records